- New opportunity – please note that the deadline is looming.
- Do you work in UK Higher Education? Are you interested in Research? Spinouts? Data visualisation? Would you like to get ‘hands-on’ with data and explore the possibilities within an experimental environment whilst widening your network of contacts within the sector?
- If so, Analytics Labs may well provide the professional development opportunity you’re looking for.
- Analytics Labs creates prototype data dashboard and visualisation products while upskilling participants. It brings together sector data scientists/analysts, professionals, policy experts and academics in short sprints, to investigate topics using a suite of tools in a secure data processing environment, with professional support from Jisc data scientists who are very familiar with the data landscape in the UK sector.
The outcomes from a Lab are numerous and include upskilled workforce, greater understanding of the national data landscape for business intelligence, new national contacts, remote and agile working methods, data manipulation and visualisation using cutting edge tools (including Alteryx and Tableau).
To find out more about the benefits of getting involved with Analytics Labs, check out or post on Analytics Labs, its benefits and how to get involved.
Research Spinout Success Analytics Lab
- We’re looking for colleagues, with relevant interest and experience, from across the UK Higher Education Sector, to join us in our Research Spinout Success Analytics Lab team. The team will meet (remotely and face to face) up to once a week from Thursday 6 June 2019 – w/c 9 September 2019.
During that time the team will cover the following:
- An exploration of the factors promoting the success of spinouts associated with academic research. This activity will focus on data from the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), Companies House and the Office for National Statistics alongside Gateway to Research (GtR) grant data. It will aim to gain a better understanding of how early investments in research can support the establishment of early stage companies.
- Applying the data and combining it with relevant experience and skill in research and knowledge transfer, spinouts and/or data visualisation and data processing, participants will work together to help develop user-friendly interactive dashboards.
Are you Interested?
- We’re looking for team analysts who have an interest and experience in the themes alongside experience in data visualisation tools including Tableau and PowerBI and/or Alteryx (or related tools).
What’s the commitment?
- The Labs team will meet for one day per week for up to 13 days in total. Much of the work is done remotely, however there is a requirement to meet face to face on a monthly basis.
- Thursday 6 June 2019 (venue: MRC Conference Centre, London, WC2B 4AN)
- Thursday 4 July 2019 (venue: Churchgate House, Manchester, M1 6EU)
- Thursday 1 August 2019 (venue: MRC Conference Centre, London, WC2B 4AN)
Participants will be required to be available on the following dates for face to face meetings:
You will be required to be available on the following dates for face to face meetings:
- There will be an event providing an opportunity to present outputs on Thursday 12 September – the venue will be UKRI offices, Swindon.
You will also be invited to present at an Analytics Labs Showcase event w/c 14 October 2019.
- Regular team meetings will also be held remotely on the following dates:
- Thursday 13 June 2019
- Thursday 20 June 2019
- Thursday 27 June 2019
- Thursday 11 July 2019
- Thursday 18 July 2019
- Thursday 25 July 2019
- Thursday 8 August 2019
- Thursday 29 August 2019
- Thursday 5 September 2019
- There is no charge to take part, however participants are expected to cover their own travel and subsistence costs when attending face to face Lab team meetings.
How do I apply?
- Applications are open to staff working in Jisc member organisations via a short application form https://jisc.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/analytics-labs-application-form-spinout-2019 . You will be asked to share with us (in 500 words or less) the skills and experience that you have that are relevant to the theme and the role of Team Analyst.
Deadline for applications is 17.00 on Monday 20 May.
- We will aim to respond to you as soon as possible with decisions after that date.